The force is strong with this one. Starting in 2019, Mod Op journeyed to a galaxy far, far away as we were awarded the global campaign for WBIE’s fastest selling LEGO game to date—LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga.
The campaign’s success began with a strategy honed to engage kids, Star Wars and LEGO Games fans, as well as core and casual gamers. We knew early on that a playable demo would not be available, so we developed a campaign strategy that included specific assets targeted to key audience segments. Working hand-in-hand with WB Marketing, our team employed creative and strategic solutions to build consensus with such stakeholders as Lucasfilm LTD, LEGO Games, and TT Games, while navigating each’s brand goals and parameters.
The result smashed sales records, becoming the biggest launch of any LEGO Game ever, selling 3.2M copies in the first two weeks, and ranked #1 in global sales for April 2022.
Trailers & Commercials
The key assets for the campaign included trailers, documentaries and TV spots. Our team kicked off a tease campaign with a full CG announcement teaser for Microsoft’s annual E3 press conference, followed by two gameplay trailers which premiered at Gamescom’s “Opening Night Live” streaming telecast. Each reached millions of viewers around the world.
As we neared launch, we ramped up the content, including a long-form trailer featuring extended gameplay sequences, and shot two behind-the-scenes mini-documentaries. These were followed by a hilarious "villains trailer," the launch trailer, and the global broadcast spot. A series of six pre-roll spots and an accolade TV spot helped to provide post-launch momentum.
The trailers garnered over a 150M views worldwide, spurring massive social engagement and off the charts positive sentiment, as well as record breaking pre-orders for WB Games.
Kicking off in parallel to the overall campaign strategy, our approach for Social Media was centered around engaging fans directly, specifically speaking to parents & kids, adult fans, and core gamers.
By activating these key segments, our goals were to:
• Amplify fan excitement
• Revitalize social channels
• Reward existing fans
To achieve this, we created content that was approachable and entertaining to new and returning fans alike, focusing on sharing new game details, tidbits of lore, and celebrating the LEGO Star Wars fandom. Moreover, the tone of the content was always true to the LEGO Star Wars brand, clever, tongue-in-cheek, and always enthusiastic.
Following this social strategy, we successfully grew and activated all LEGO Star Wars owned and operated social channels:
• In 2022 alone, Net Audience Growth grew by 886.2%.
• From January 2022 to April 4th launch date we garnered over 54,000,000 Impressions, 9,200,000 Views, and 2,500,000 Engagements across all owned and operated social channels..
• Throughout the duration of the campaign fan engagement was incredibly positive, with users sharing their excitement for the release, and in the case of our Profile Photo Pack activation, working together to locate favorites from a massive 350+ photos to choose from.
The result? A smashing success!
• Best selling game in the world during the month of April, 2022.
• Topped Nintendo, PlayStation, XBOX, and Steam charts for April, 2022.
• First non-Nintendo game in 12 months to rank #1 in sales.
• As of the end of April, ranked as the #2 best selling game of the 2022 (US), after only one month.
• As of end of April, ranked as the #6 best selling game over the previous 12 months (US), after only one month.
Became the fastest selling LEGO game of all time, with 3.2 M sold in first 14 days.
Topped Nintendo, PlayStation, XBOX, and Steam charts for April, 2022.
First non-Nintendo game in 12 months to rank #1 in sales.